Tuesday 30 July 2024

I Am A Fighter - Part 4

I am writing this article on the eve of first radiation therapy session.

It has been 3 weeks since I was discharged from hospital.

Adjusting to environment of my own home after massive surgery and staying in hospital initial 9 days after surgery was a bit tough, because of a bit fuzziness and disorientation.


In a day or two fully adjusted and comfortable, with an amazing nurse Rajeshree I started recouping fast. 


I felt elated when I was allowed to have coconut water from mouth along with RT feed of protein powder. One comes to know the importance of things which we take granted.


One week of water and coconut water doctor permitted met to take clear soups also from mouth. Though initially it used to be big task, soup dribbling all over, swallowing an effort but yet I enjoyed the bland soup. 


One week of two RT feeds, milk shake (made from oats, fox nuts, almonds and walnuts, sieved nicely to get rid of tiniest bit of solid particle) two feeds of soup with coconut water and sweet lime juice in between I started gaining my lost strength. 


With my son, daughter in law and grandson with us the environment of home was full of joy and laughter.The people and the environment in the house matters a lot.


The support, care and love of my children and grand children and the extended family acts like elixir. 


Then came a disappointment in the end of third week when I was expecting the RT to be removed I got swelling again on my sight of surgery. One tends to get perturbed. 


Expressing your feeling is best thing one can do. Don't hide your disappointment, and anger. Bottling up the feelings is worse thing.

 

Dr. Dhar is amazing doctor and this is what one requires, a doctor who listens patiently to your complaints as fickle as they may be. Brings down your anxiety by explaining everything. 


With some antibiotics and soothing words from Dr. Dhar I was in best of the spirits.

 

After three days I had to visit Dr. Prabhune and he removed my RT and asked me to take soft, non-spicy full meal, but high protein diet. I literally jumped with joy. 


With tube hanging from my nostril gone I enjoyed luke warm tea with biscuits after 25 days. It was a treat for me. 


Dinner of soup with sautéed mushrooms was a amazing. 

From next day onwards vegetable, Daal,roti/sabzi,currd, Khichdi(polenta), half fry egg etc anything which are not hard became part of menu of my breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Just one precaution is to be taken. Clean the mouth with with diluted mouth wash every time anything is eaten to keep surgery site of mouth cavity clean. 


Disappoint, irritation and pains are and will be part of the treatment. I am told by my doctors and radiotherapist that the second leg of journey will start getting tough after a, week or two. Weaknesses will start setting, skin will start getting darker and sensitive, blisters will start appearing in mouth, due to fibrosis mouth opening may go down so despite of pain and discomfort jaw opening excersice will have to be done. But I am also determined to bear what comes my way  with courageous attitude and be as cheerful as possible, yet vent out my feeling when going gets tough. 


Why be a defeatist when Almighty has blessed me with amazing set of doctors, great family and the means to get best of the treatment. 


Remember negative attitude only can defeat a person. Count your blessings. Be positive. 



2 comments:

  1. Difficult to even imagine a person like you..so positive and full of life..has to go through all this..but as you rightly said..you are a fighter and inspiration to so many people.. friends, students family everyone..only.. bad feeling is that I want to be by your side take care of you but stuck down by situations.. Ajay's presence must be a big boost that will take you out of the blues.. always wishing you a speedy recovery and happiest of life ma'am..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep up the spirits and fight..proud of you...positive and strong

    ReplyDelete