Saturday 25 August 2018

The Lonely Tree


The lonely tree on the  slope of hillock kept spreading its branches- I thought it was growing, because it looked so green, so full of life. But one fine day it was lying dead on the very slope it took birth  I wondered why? Why such green tree fell to the ground. I went up the slope and found the hollow trunk wrapped up in green climbers and creepers.
But why did it fall? It looked so full of life, extending its branches as if trying to touch the sky.
It remained a mystery to me. It was getting water, sunlight and the soil seemed to be fertile  so why did it fall? What made it's healthy trunk go hollow and weak?  The colorful climbers and creepers were making it look so beautiful.
I could not solve the mystery because I was inexperienced I and  had much to learn about the truth of life.
Today at aripe old age, having spent six decades on this planet I still sees that tree. I dream about that tree with my open eyes in broad day light.
That tree depicts reality, fact of life. Now I understand why it fell.
When climbers and creepers take support, they suck you dry from within. Now I understand the extending branches did not want to touch the sky  they were the extended arms asking for help.
They were saying help me, help me get rid of these unwelcome guests. But the world was oblivious to it's cry. After all it looked so lively and green.
Why do I speak of that tree now? Because with passing years I have gained loads of experience.
Why do I  speak of that tree now?
Because that tree is My Mother, Me, You or anyone else who lets these creepers take your support, grow, suck you dry and then when you die (age mentally,  emotionally and physically) leave you to rot for the want of understanding and support.
You allow them to suck the much needed Elixir of life without knowing the rot they have set in you. They grow around you,  and you look so contended and beautiful to world,  just like that tree. Neither you nor the world know what is to come.
NOW I lnow the happy go lucky tree was suffering. The moss had grown, cut off all sunlight and air , choking the tree. The tree had extended it's arms asking for help but the world was too busy to notice. The tree died of suffocation. The tree died for the lack of care, love and affection. The tree died for the lack of understanding.
Can I cut the creepers and be free? No I cannot. Why? Because they have made inroads within me  cutting them and getting rid of them is life threatening.
Is it my fault?  I asked the dead tree.
They are yet devouring me in death and slowly running away from me. They know in no time I will be of no good use to them so are running away to greener tree or may I say greener pasture. But I do ot care, let them be.
I wondered what now? The tree gave the answer again. Nothing  not a bit to worry.
I asked the tree can I cut the creepers and climbers?
Did I? It asked in return. If you cut it you will be cutting a part of you, if you uproot them and thus your heart will bleed  'cause they are rooted deep in your heart.
What then I asked?

The tree said:
Go to the the place I had fallen,
You had taken me for dead.
O! human that is the difference,
Between you and me,
You wallow in sorrow,
And
For  me it is,
Never say dead.
I may fallen but not defeated,
My soul lives,
I got up from ground and raise my head,
My spirit is indomitable.
Go where I lay on the ground, and see for yourself.
So I went,
Saw the tree lying on the ground,
With it's own green canopy,
Smiling at the world,
In victory
Teaching us a lesson,
No one can kill us,
But ourself.
That day I learnt my lesson from the tree,  that let the creepers leave you for dead. If I want to be happy I have to say:
I may be weak,
I may have fallen,
Not broken from within,
I may be alone,
But
Not dead.
It is upto us to be happy or sad.
I have made my choice to live like tree. What about you?


4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you Jaya for taking the time to post your view of

      Delete
  2. Excellent...the truth written via the medium of a tree ...creepers and climbers always use....the tree....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for taking out time and posting your comment. M

      Delete