Tuesday 31 March 2015

A Ceremony At Tasfaye's House In Etiopia


Lovely duo dancing with joy
Preparation for feast was going since four days right in front of my house. Ladies were busy cutting onions, baking bread, making spices, gentlemen in slaughtering sheep, cow and cocks. I thought some marriage preparation was going on.
On the D-day guests started arriving from morning. It was hot summer day. Mediterranean sun was blazing down on earth. Men were sweating under the suit and tie and ladies in their traditional dress complete with head gear and stylish hairstyle and wigs. I thought how nice I will be able to witness and photograph an Ethiopian wedding.
Guests arriving 
Big huge table was decked up for laying the feast. beef cooked in different style, Sheep meat, chicken. rice, biscuits, kebabs and much more was on the table.
Last minute checking if all has been layed on table
Food covered and well gaurded
All Ethioian delicacies layed for feast
Beef and other savories with rice 
Injera
Ethiopian Pita bread
 Tent was raised and decorated with flowers and leaves. As it is the tradition in Ethiopia green grass was spread on the path way. Oh!  is the groom is going to walk green carpet? I could sense the excitement in the air, then suddenly almost after two hours delay a car starts honking the horn indicating the arrival of the man of the day.
The tent raised for ceremony
All ready to Welcome Kiya Tesfaye
The car stops in front of the house and ladies start making ululating sound (Alalta in Amharic) to cheer and welcome the much awaited person of the day. He alights from the car cheered with louder ululation. NO! It is not groom surely for he was not in groom attire, but was dressed in black gown and cap and a roll of paper duly tied with red ribbon his hand. 
Proud Mom, Dad, Sis and Aunt with Kiya
Though utterly confused I kept on clicking the pictures. Much hugging, shedding tears of happiness and he is led inside the tent, with sofa set for the man of the day and his friend, benches for parent relatives and guests. 
Kiya with friends
Hesitatingly I asked what exactly the occasion is? To my surprise I was told by proud father that his son Kiya is coming back after completing his B.E thus Graduation Ceremony!! We are welcoming Kiya after his successful completion of bachelor’s course and bringing the degree. His answers not only made me understand that how much importance  education and graduation is given in Ethiopia but also my mistake of taking it to be marriage ceremony.
What I was witnessing and photographing was not wedding but a party for Kiya. The  great graduation ceremony.
Guest waithing to congratulate Kiya
Wiping the forehead with the palm and then giving gift to the graduated boy with the sweaty hands was the high light of the day. Suit and tie on the top of that graduation gown and cap was making Kiya face red and body itchy as if he has touched an ivy plant. Yet he was unwilling to let go of the graduation regalia (after all he has become a bachelor! with a degree now). Tables were decked up for laying the feast and people were eyeing the tables  eagerly waiting for the cover to be removed.
Gift given now next step of feasting has to start fast before all Coca-Cola is gulped down to overcome the discomfort of heat trapped in the suit and hunger pangs in the stomach.
Dr. Tasfaye called me aside and shows me the fully laid table. What a gorgeous spread it was! With chicken, sheep and beef meat cooked in different ways. Injera, Dabbo and Pitta made at home, Rice and vegetables. Blasphemy how could I forget the Biscuits and chips and cookies. Beer and more Coco-cola was waiting to wash down the throat the sumptuous spread. I clicked some pictures and excused myself after wishing the Man of the day and his parents, as I did not want to intrude upon their party.
I had just now witnessed the Ethiopian graduation ceremony. 
In the night there was dancing with lovely Ethiopian music. Myself and my husband were curiously looking when we were again invited inside the tent and we danced along with them. What open hearted and nice people they are. We thoroughly enjoyed with you all Tasfaye family.
Lovely duo dancing with joy
I also joined them

Thank you Dr. and Mrs Tasfaye for inviting us and allowing me to click pictures of your private function and putting them in blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment