Wednesday 3 April 2013

The Night I became Young Again



What would have I not given to turn the wheel of time by 30 years, amend the mistake of sacrificing my career, so that I would have been me, not daughter, wife, mother of so and so. Time has changed me so much that from being a jovial friendly person I had turned to a loner and recluse. What I used to see in the mirror was not what had visualized for myself when I was young.
My daughters and son were the pillars of my strength, but it was my daughter in-law who pushed me, cajoled me, tutored me and believe me scolded me (The youngsters of now a days , some would say), so that I do not retract to my dark lonely shell and brood over that what I cannot change. It was this time that I took to blogging.
It did bring great change in my attitude. From time pass, blogging became a full time job for me. People started recognizing me as Jyotsna. To some extent I regained my lost identity. I had my own group of fans and followers and friends. Change had set in my lonely world, yet for me things were not the same. So when my daughter in-law told me her friends were my blog fans and wanted to come home, I became jittery and had apprehension; I was totally out of touch of outside world.
Somehow I did make food which I presumed they would love and waited with baited breath. Will they like being with me? Will they like my appearance? Will they like to be with an old lady of fifty eight years? I had already started feeling eighty five rather than fifty eight.
One by one they trooped in, some alone some in pairs. A broad smile on their face, chocolate and flowers in their hands they were coming straight from their work place. The flowers were as bright and beautiful as they themselves. They spoke a language that was respectful yet very friendly and by the time I realized we were busy chatting. They had become my friends. My daughter in-law was left to do the look after my friends.
People say oh! the youngsters of now a days! They are brash, disrespectful, selfish and what not. I say we require understanding them and changing our outlook with time. Stagnation is breeds moss making the ground slippery.
 My friends were a group of bubbly, intelligent, knowledgeable nature enthusiast. Time passed so quickly that I did not realize that my daughter in-law had already laid the table.
Colorful food on the table had made the table look very inviting. Our friends did full justice to the love and hard work whit which I had cooked the food. The surprise and appreciation in their eyes was the reward. Photography done they had their fill, joked and laughed with us. I regained my lost self that night. I became young jovial self in their company. They had polished off thirty years from the age of a grandmother of two months old grandson. For me that was the best New year gift of 2013.
Thanks a lot my young friends for the lovely gift you all had given me. Thanks for reminding me that monuments are also worth visiting as ruined and weather beaten they may be.

5 comments:

  1. Monuments have been there for a long time , they have seen the times change , they have lots experience , knowledge and stories to share and above all they inspire :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. you have a brilliant way of writing...!!! its beautiful. keep on writing please!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Beulah. It has been long time since I have any article due to my ill health. But I have indeed made a wonderful friend who goes by the name of Beulah.

    ReplyDelete