Tuesday 5 March 2013

My Apology to Young Lady


Many years have passed since they were separated from their mothers but the memory of separation is fresh in their mind. How mercilessly they were cut off from their mother and kept in a room without from food and water, to tame them for working together and prove useful. The only consolation for them was that some of the brothers, sisters and friends were together. They all wept till the tears dried.  Master bunched them and tied together so that they do not run away. Now they all were addressed as a group, individual identity was lost and none was allowed to venture alone anywhere. The group was given a name by the master and that is how my identity came into existence. Yes I was born that fateful day.

Daily I was taken out of the room and was made to perform menial tasks. After the work was done I was allowed to be outside in the veranda. I enjoyed the lovely greenery, children playing around and the aroma from the kitchen. When everybody came in the veranda to sit and gossip, I was taken to my room and locked. Thankfully the room was well lit and airy.

How glad I was those days. I had a room which I shared with my cousins. I was treated with respect and tended to very carefully. I was happy to be in that big house until one fine day the master decided to sell the spacious house and shift in this flat I call a match box along with me and the old lady servant.

It was winter season and like earlier days I wanted to be under the sun for some time, but then when master is around no one dared to let me be anywhere except where he wanted me to be, that is a dingy dark corner of the house. So I shivered and cried and longed for the sunny room of mine of good old days. 

Master left for few days and the old lady let me be in any place I wanted. What freedom means I really understood then? I was all over the place, in the drawing room, dining room, bed room and in the lovely balcony with fresh air and bright sun.

Sigh! My days of freedom were limited. Master came and I was back to original place. I feel lonely and miss the days when I used to sway with strong wind, and entwine my fingers with my brother and sisters or huddle together to make sure I do not fall or get lost. I simply feel desperate in this corner.

 My master returned with his bride. I was very happy seeing her, for she would know how to treat me. She would know I am useful only if my body is strong. I was so happy that I danced and sang while working.
I loved the lady as she tended to me carefully and treated me with respect. Some times when the master would not be there she would bring me for sunbath, in rainy season she would cover me and I am highly thankful to her for that. She was beautiful intelligent and kind hearted. I remained strong and did my work swiftly and efficiently. As time passed I started feeling less desperate,  rather started feeling lucky.

My master started treating the lady the same way as he treated me, I dare to say worse than me. How painful it used to be to see tears running down her lovely shining cheeks. Silently she used to weep. She would work the whole day and then retreat to her allotted place to be called as and when the master needed her.  
She was invariably compared to me and was told to know her place in the family and house else she will be thrown out. 

That is when I found myself luckier than her. My work and working time was defined but she had to work round the clock, tend to all needs of master and yet threatened to be thrown out. She had no friends and family in this new place. She was more dead than alive.

One day I saw fire breaking out from her room, everybody went helter-skelter cursing her for causing the fire. I was thrown from my corner as they thought I would increase the fire. A poor lady picked me up and took me to her home. It was a small house with large hearted people. So I lived with all respect and dignity with them till my last day. I never saw my lady again. She had left for heavenly abode in that fire.
 
 Now you know why I felt less desperate, rather luckier than the lady of the house?  Because I had her and the old lady to care for me, she had no body. I lived my life nicely to a larger extent and did not have to commit suicide.

 I am very lucky my lady to have had you around even if for few days. My lady I am thankful to you, to the poor lady and her family for all the care you all took of me. I remain indebted for life long to those poor people who sheltered me in their house till my last breath and gave me back my dignity and freedom.

My lady I wish you all good fortune, where ever and whatever you are now.

Forgive me my lady I could do nothing for you, after all I am an innate object. I am a BROOM

2 comments:

  1. OMG.. description mostly resembled that of a woman's .. it's difficult to say what times.. mostly of old times..but who knows .. might be there today too..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandhya this is the bitter reality of life, we are progressing but much much needs to be done for the up-liftment of women all over the world.
      We are privileged to see better side of life.

      Delete