Tuesday 15 January 2013

A TRIBUTE



 There was loud crying sound as if somebody is grasping for fresh air and hearing the cry everybody in the room gave a sigh of relief. Alas they will now be spared of my constant questioning when Mrs. Mehta will come. The lady in question was my gynecologist, a lady par excellence and a doctor having enormous patience and dedication.
Thus after 14 hours of labor I birth to my first baby. Like for all young mothers who are experiencing motherhood for the first time it was a feeling beyond any expression and explanation. But it was very very special moment for me as my pregnancy was a threatened abortion case and my gynecologist, bless her soul, had put her career at stake to protect my pregnancy and help me have my sweet little one.
Now after 30 years I wonder and reflect upon the thoughts I use to have during my pregnancy. They seem now funny and totally weird, but then as a young would be mother, I used to wonder what if…..
Dr. (Mrs. Mehta) use to guide me when I used to speak to her of my apprehensions. She was a strong source of strength to me.
Near came the date of delivery and she felt I may require infusion of blood after delivery. Fortunately I and my husband both are O+ so he could have given me blood if required. Lo and behold out came the paper from her drawer and she put it in front of us smiling with gleaming eyes said: you both youngsters think only you two are O+ in the world, I am also of the same blood group and so I will give my patient blood !
Was I surprised? I was flummoxed by my doctors such a wonderful and great gesture. How many of we really encounter such great person?
I delivered my baby on Sunday, which happened to be her prayer day at the temple of Fire (she was Parsi). I was very frigidity  due to her absence and was at my wits end, troubling again and again the nurses and the doctor in charge. I would ask every 10 min.“When will Dr. Mehta come” and get the standard reply it is her day off. I started getting my contractions in earnest and the baby started coming. First cry of baby was a big relief and what a surprise Mrs. Mehta landed by my bedside the precise moment, in her floral dress straight from her Temple after the prayers. How many of us can now boast of having such a kind soul and dedicated doctor.
She held the child and proclaimed herself baby’s God Mother and blessed her by naming Sanaya (wise one). I did not have the courage of asking her anything and was looking at her with misty eyes when she said “What a mother you are! Not even asking if you are blessed with son or daughter”. I had tears in my eyes and asked is my child complete with all limbs etc.
There was pin drop silence in the maternity ward when I asked this, giving flutters to my heart as if it would burst out of my rib cage. Then all the nurses and doctors laughed so loud that I was startled not knowing whether to laugh or cry. She held the baby, my sweet little one  high up in her arms and said of course what you think your daughter forgot to bring her limbs and laughed till tears flowed from her eyes.
Her naming of my daughter Sanaya was apt. My beautiful daughter grew up to an intelligent wise lady.
Thirty years have elapsed and now Sanaya herself is to become mother.
What a wonderful feeling, no apprehensions just pure delight for becoming mother again! Yes Grand-Mother.
Long time Dr. (Mrs. Mehta) has departed from this world but the generosity, kindness love and affection of hers will always remain embedded in my heart. 
But for her daring decision of not terminating my pregnancy despite of consensus of rest of the doctors in the hospital, I would not have got chance to becoming grandmother to my daughters son who is named Vir.
 My heart felt tribute to Mrs. Mehta.

No comments:

Post a Comment